Feeds

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Respect and Understanding

Posted by   on

A real story by Rockybru's blog reader:

When I was a kid, I brought home a Malay classmate who lived in the kampung nearby. After having fun on the lawn, we were all sweaty and hungry. My mother wanted to go to the shop and pack some food to treat us to “mee mamak” and “teh tarik”. My friend declined. My mother coaxed him, but he still declined.
Then my mother seemed to understand my friend’s concern.
She said to him “How about roti canai? You can eat straight from the packet – no need to use a plate. How about a bottled drink? You can drink straight from the bottle – no need to use a cup.” My friend nodded shyly.
Later, we were in the kitchen, eating with our hands, and chatting away happily.
I learned from my mother to respect my friend.
I learned that my friend had learned from his parents not to use crockery in a non-Muslim house.
I learned that he must respect his parents and what they had taught him.

One small lesson, but it brings two young people a lifetime of mental evolution.

No comments:
Write comments
Hey, we've just launched a new custom color Blogger template. You'll like it - https://t.co/quGl87I2PZ
Join Our Newsletter